Many developments now incorporate complex technology, the value and importance of which can exceed the construction elements of a project.
- Data centres, either owner occupied or more prevalently now developed by investment funds. High efficiency is now a must, resilience must be maintained to preserve integrity, and speed of delivery is important to gain market share.
- Edge data centres, small facilities to site data processing close to the user, self driving vehicles and other technology, linked to the roll out of 5G, require latency of data communications to be reduced, which can only be achieved by localised processing.
- Intelligent buildings, is a growing trend with converged networks to control the internal environment, maintain security, deliver and receive information and provide user IT functions.
- Smart city infrastructure, often in tandem with energy distribution, to provide people in the public domain with information and services.
- Energy distribution incorporating renewable/low carbon sources and grid support to provide homes and businesses with affordable and sustainable power and heating.